Reach Us 24/7 - Get A Free Case Review
Who We Are
- Named by The National Law Journal to the “Plaintiffs’ Hot List,” recognizing the top plaintiffs’ firms in the country for the past nine consecutive years. Only two firms in the country have been selected for the Hot List nine years in a row.
- The Mass Tort Practice Group is comprised of experienced lawyers and staff, who understand the serious medical complications caused by defective hip replacement devices. Our Firm is actively involved in similar lawsuits concerning other defective hip replacement devices, including the recalled ASR hip implant and the Pinnacle metal-on-metal hip implant. We have helped hundreds of hip replacement clients, have been interviewed by the press on the dangers of metal-on-metal hip replacement systems and the Firm’s clients have shared their personal experiences with journalists in order to bring increased media attention to this important public safety issue.
- We were recently appointed to the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee and Discovery Committee in In re: DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc. Pinnacle Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation, which is a consolidated and coordinated action of all federal lawsuits alleging that DePuy defectively designed and marketed certain Pinnacle hip implants, which injured hundreds of individuals.
- Recommended as one of the top local litigation firms in New York in the inaugural edition of Benchmark Plaintiff 2012: The Definitive Guide To America’s Leading Plaintiff Firms and Attorneys, which focuses on “highlighting firms and individuals responsible for bringing the cases that matter.”
- Listed for five consecutive years in The Legal 500, a guide to the best commercial law firms in the United States.
- Four of the Firm’s partners have been named by New York Super Lawyers magazine to be among the top lawyers in New York State.
- Senior partner Stanley D. Bernstein has been selected by Lawdragon magazine as one of the “500 Leading Litigators in America.”
- Employing more than 25 lawyers, including former prosecutors, former federal law clerks, in-house investigators and other experienced staff.
Bernstein Liebhard LLP in Action
The Firm has achieved extraordinary results – recovering over $3 billion for its clients. Notable accomplishments include:
- Recovering a $586 million settlement against the largest investment banks on Wall Street.
- Recovering a $400 million settlement against the largest insurance broker in the world.
- Forcing a multinational pharmaceutical company to re-label a popular at-home medical testing device to accurately reflect the product’s limitations.
- Achieving a settlement in excess of $100 million on behalf of investors in the now-infamous multi-billion dollar Ponzi scheme orchestrated by Bernard L. Madoff.
- Achieving a $14.7 million jury verdict following a four-week jury trial concerning illegal business practices that affected hundreds of auto body repair shops.
- Recovering a $25 million partial settlement on behalf of direct purchasers of shell eggs and egg products in an action alleging a massive price-fixing effort in the egg industry.
The Firm and its lawyers have served in leadership roles in scores of high-profile and complex litigations, ranging from cases involving shareholder and consumer rights to injuries caused by dangerous drugs, defective medical devices and consumer products:
- Appointed to the Plaintiff’s’ Steering Committee in In re Ethicon, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation; In re American Medical Systems, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation; In re Boston Scientific Corp. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation; and In re C.R. Bard, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, four transvaginal mesh multidistrict litigations pending in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia. The lawsuits allege that pelvic mesh manufacturers C.R. Bard, American Medical Systems, Boston Scientific and Ethicon failed to properly and adequately warn about complications associated with the products. The Firm also serves on multiple plaintiff subcommittees that are coordinating the discovery and trial of these cases.
- Appointed Co-Liaison Counsel in the In re Pelvic Mesh/Gynecare Litigation, and In re Pelvic Mesh Litigation/Bard, two consolidated actions of all pelvic mesh lawsuits filed in New Jersey state court, involving hundreds of claims filed by individuals injured as a result of pelvic mesh implants. Responsible for leading the cases against multiple manufacturers of pelvic mesh.
- Appointed Vice-Chair and later Chair of the Executive Committee in In re Initial Public Offering Securities Litigation, one of the largest and most complex securities cases in history.
- Appointed Co-Lead Counsel in In re Processed Egg Products Antitrust Litigation, a federal multidistrict case alleging a price-fixing conspiracy against the nation’s largest egg producers.
- Appointed Lead Counsel in the securities actions brought by investors in the now-infamous multi-billion dollar Ponzi scheme orchestrated by Bernard L. Madoff.
- Appointed Co-Lead Counsel representing thousands of affected tenants in a case alleging hundreds of millions of dollars of overcharges by New York City landlords.